Dress: Show My Your Mumu | Shoes: Nordstrom | Earrings: Similar | Lipstick: MAC “Diva”
Photography by: Banavenue
For those of us riding the single train this Valentine’s Day, I think I speak for all of us when I say that it’s not a holiday we care to give too much recognition to. Being single on the day of love is like a huge freaking reminder that everyone else (or so it seems) is happily in a relationship, engaged, or married. As if your grandmother dropping not so subtle hints about your relationship status wasn’t enough, stomaching all of the mushy-gushy romance on this day can be rough to say the least.
This will be my first Valentine’s Day alone in close to 8 years and I’m not sure how I feel about it. On one hand I am pretty excited that I am not having to buy a Valentine’s Day gift for anyone besides myself. And you can bet that I WILL be buying myself something because I have somehow convinced myself that that is how the world should work. My logic goes a little something like this: if I were in a relationship, I would be spending a hefty amount of mula on the one I love. Since I would have spent the money anyway, I might as well spend it on someone that I love just as much… MUAH! So thank you nonexistent boyfriend for that!
So to all of my single ladies out there, instead of spending February 14th feeling sorry for ourselves and our lack of romance, I say we celebrate this special time in our lives! On a day that makes us question “Why am I still single?”, “What’s wrong with me?”, “Will I die alone?”, I’m here to tell you that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and you should celebrate the fact that some day you will look back on this time alone and wish you would have lived it up a little more. So here are a few ways stay happy this love day and to be your own damn Valentine.
- Stay off of social media– As if most days besides Valentine’s Day weren’t big enough reminders of just how single you are, social media will surely do the trick. You already know that everyone and their mother will be showing off on social media of just how great their significant other is. Do yourself a huge favor and just stay off of your phone for the day. Nobody wants to see the thousands of Instagrams showing off expensive gifts, romantic gestures, and cliche acts of love (as cute as they might be).
- Don’t “play hermit”– It might be easy to burry yourself into a hole of self pity complete with Netflix while you drown your tears into a tub of ice cream but don’t succumb to this ladies! The world is not completely out to get you on this day so embrace being single and know you are not alone!
- Splurge on something for yourself– Take the money you would have spent on a Valentine”s Day present for your ex and buy yourself something really nice. Maybe it’s a couple boxes of chocolate (you do you girl) or maybe it’s a new bag. Just do it!
- Buy yourself flowers– I’m a big proponent that you should always buy yourself flowers. They don’t have to be a romantic gesture from a guy. For something that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg but brings instant happiness, seems like a no brainer to buy them for yourself!
- Pamper yourself– Ain’t nobody going to love you better than you can love yourself! Just like you would have spoiled that special Valentine, you deserve a little loving too! My personal favorite pampering sesh goes a little something like this: a bubble bath, face mask, candles and BIG glass of wine. Don’t mind if I do!
Cheers to all of the single ladies out there this Valentine’s Day and may you be your own best damn Valentine out there.