With the Sephora Beauty Insider event currently underway, I thought now would be the perfect time to share my ride or die everyday makeup products. With my job I get the opportunity to try out SO many makeup, skin care and hair care products. Some products are so good I end up bumping an old one out of the crew and others get thrown into the donation box. These right here are my makeup products that have stood the true test and are products I keep coming back to. See below for all of the details on the sale and a little bit more about each of my favorite products.
ROUGE EARLY ACCESS: APRIL 26–MAY 1
Sephora Rouge members have first access to shop the event at a whopping 20% off with code HEYROUGE
ALL TIERS ACCESS: MAY 2–6
Rouge members get 20% off purchases in store and online with code HEYROUGE
VIB members get 15% off purchase in store and online with code HEYVIB
Insiders get 10% off with code HEYINSIDER
Not a member? You can sign up today and enjoy 10-20% off your purchases!
- Primer– Prior to using the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream, I used a moisturizer AND primer before putting on my makeup. The magic cream serves as both! So while it is a little bit of a splurge, it is taking the place of two products. And it certainly lives up to it’s name. It is pure MAGIC! It leaves my skin soft and hydrated without feeling greasy or like my make up will slide off of my face. It also fills in my pores so that the rest of my make up goes on as smoothly as possible. If you are someone with oily skin and/or bigger pores, you will love this product.
- Foundation– I’ve raved about the IT Cosmetics CC Cream for years now. I’ve been using it almost 7 years and would be surprised if I ever switch away. I have tried other foundations that compete it with it such as the Estee Lauder Double Wear or NARS Natural Radiant Foundation , but I always come back to this one. It is full coverage without looking cakey. I wear it on “no makeup” days with mascara and even to go out with a full face of make up. It’s the perfect everyday foundation. It also comes in a matte formula that I would suggest for oily/combination skin and an illumination formula that I like to mix with the regular formula in the Spring/Summer for a more dewy look. I use shade light in the winter months and medium in the warmer months.
- Concealer– I have used Tarte Shape Tape for years and would highly suggest it if you have dark circles. I use it under my eyes, in between my brows, down my nose, and over any blemishes. I apply it with the applicator and then “dab” it into my skin with a damp beauty blender.
- Setting Powder– I use this loose setting powder with a damp beauty blender to set my concealer under my eyes. There is something about using loose powder that seams to work better for this area of the face. I’ll use any residue from the beauty blender in any oily areas of my face, usually my T zone.
- Pressed Powder – I have found that applying a translucent pressed powder with a brush works best for the rest of my face as it doesn’t apply as much concentrated make up in one application. I particularly love this setting powder because it has a small amount of illumination in the formula meaning it gives a slight glow! Love this for a natural, dewy finish. The setting powders are meant to make your make up last longer by minimize oil and grease.
- Bronzer – I am not a contour girl by any means but I do like a bronzer that I can use all over whether that be my cheek bones, hair line or neck. This is not a matte bronzer as it does have a slight shimmer to it which personally I feel like makes the face less dull! It gives a very natural, sun kissed tan to the face. I apply it in a 3 motion along my hair line, under my cheek bones, and below my jaw line. I will also bring it down my neck.
- Blush – While this blush oddly looks like a female body part that I won’t name, I cannot say enough good things! I fell in love with this product the moment I started using it. I use the shade “First Love” which is almost a cross between a bronzer and blush. It gives the perfect sun kissed look. Not too pink, not too coral, just right!
- Highlighter – I apply highlighter on days I want a little extra “oomph”. It makes the face pop a little more, especially for pictures. I apply my highlighter on top of my cheek bones, above my blush, above my eyebrows, down my nose and above my upper lip. Think about it as putting the highlighter anywhere that the sun would naturally catch your face.
- Setting Spray – The last thing I do before heading out of the house. Setting spray is used to hold your makeup in place throughout the day/night and is honestly a So refreshing! I’ve noticed a huge difference since adding this step into my routine.
- Eyeshadow– I’ve been using this pallete for the past year and absolutely love it. Most of the shades are in the brown family with hints of purple and pink making it a great Spring/Summer, everyday pallete. Most of the colors have a shimmer to them so if you prefer matte palletes, I would not suggest this one.
- Pencil Liner – I don’t like harsh eyeliner on my bottom water line so I usually use eyeshadow or this pencil. I use shade “smog” and it is the perfect color to make your eyes pop.
- Liquid Liner – This drugstore liquid liner has a felt tip that provides easy application. I use this on my lids and sometimes to make a cat eyeliner look. I’ve tried the higher end versions and this one trumped all of them!
- Mascara – The best drugstore mascara out there and personally my overall favorite. If you have long lashes and like bristle brush applicators, you’ll love this one.
- Brow Pencil – I used Anastasia pencils for years before finding this gem. It last 3X as long as it very similar. It has an angled pencil on one end and a brow brush on the other. I used shade soft brown.
- Brow Gel – A newer find for me but since I have long eyebrow hairs, this clear gel makes sure to keep the hairs in place all day without giving them a gel like appearance.
- Lipstick – I use shade Backtalk and it is a great everyday shade. Not too pink, not too brown, but a soft shade in the middle. It is also not too matte which I love since my lips tend to get chapped and this one does not have that effect!
- Powder Brush – I use this to apply my setting powder.
- Blush Brush – I use this too apply my blush to my cheek bones.
- Bronzer Brush – I use this too apply bronzer as well as blend out any harsh lines from the bronzer and blush.
- Eyeshadow Brush – I use this to apply my eyeshadow. It is the only brush that I use for my lid, crease and outer corners. It is a great blending brush too.
- Beauty Blender – I use this too apply my concealer and loose setting powder. Make sure it is ALWAYS damp when you use it. This mean running and squeezing it under running water for at least 15 seconds before use.
ON MY WISHLIST
1. Precleanse – A pre cleanser is meant to be used before your cleanser to take your make up off. If you are taking your make up off with your cleanser, it is not having the chance to do it’s job. Wipe your make up off and open up those pores so that you can really clean them properly.
2. Cleanser – The only product I use morning and night. This Dermalogica cleanser is a great, gentle option that I have used for 3 years now. I have tried others and always come back to this one.
3. Acne Cleanser – While I’ve tried higher end acne cleansers I always come back to this one for two reasons. 1) It is under $10 and 2) It has 10% benzoyl peroxide which is an acne fighting ingredient. Most other products have between 2-5%. I don’t use this product every day, but I do most! If you experience hormonal or random acne, I highly suggest working a second, acne-fighting cleanser into your routine. I know it seems a little excessive to have multiple cleansers, but it has made all of the difference for my skin!
4. Toner – A newer product to me (< a year) and I’ll never use anything else. It is gentle, does not sting or burn my eyes and gets any remaining make up, dirt or gunk off of my face before applying my high end products. You would be surprised how much stuff can come off of your face even after 3 cleansers! I use the toner with a cotton pad and just run it all over my face.
5. Face Oil – If I was stranded on a deserted island, this is the one product I would bring! I swear by it. I have a few face oils but this is the only own I couldn’t live without. It has drastically reduced my hormonal acne. It has tea tree and salicylic acid which are two acne fighting ingredients. I look forward to this step every night!
6. Face Serum – My second must have product that has drastically changed my skin since using it. This serum has lactic acid in it which minimizes pore size, fine lines and smoothes skin. I have seen a noticeable difference since using this product when it comes to my pore sizes and minimizing my acne scars too. It also feels AMAZING going on your skin. It tingles a little bit. In a good way 🙂
7. Moisturizer – I don’t use a moisturizer every night. I use this moisturizer on two occasions. 1) when my skin really needs a little extra TLC and 2) when I want to tan my face because I mix my face tanning drop with it. I like this moisturizer better than others because it is a thinner consistency so the tanning drops mix in easily, it has SPF 50 and smells like ginger!
8. Spot Treatment – This is a newer product to me and I haven’t decided if I love it or not or when is best to use it but if I have a pimple, I will put this on it before bed and let it dry out overnight. You apply the product with a Q-tip to the pimple and let the product dry before going to bed and then wash it off in the morning. If it works properly, your blemish should be noticeably smaller in the morning! No pimple is created equal and this doesn’t work for every pimple. I have found it really only works for those stubborn, underground pimples. Also, it can only be used for untouched blemishes, once you poke or “pop” them, it does not work and should not be used.
9. Face Tanner – I have not had the chance to try out the Isle of Paradise drops that everyone is raving about but I have used these for years and love them. You just add a few drops to your daily moisturizer and it creates a gradual, natural tan. I just use this for my face. I have heard that people use the Isle of Paradise ones on other parts of their body by adding the drops to their body lotion.
10. Body Tanner – My ride or die self tanner. No matter what shade you are, I always suggest the dark shade. It gives the most natural looking tan and you are able to control how dark you want. All of the other St. Tropez shades that I have tried haven’t given me the level of darkness that I want. This one works for all seasons. The longer you leave it on the darker you will get. I apply the mousse with a tanning mitt (you must), let it dry, and then sleep in it. I typically leave it on for at least 8 hours before washing it off for maximum darkness. It will get on clothing and sheets and has a self tanner smell but it will wash out. I typically wear loose, dark clothing to bed.
11. Tanning Mitt – I use this to apply my self tanner. If you are using any kind of semi-permanent self tanner you will want to use a mitt so you do not stain your hands.
12. Instant Tan – Another new product that I LOVE. If I forget to self tan or just want a one time tan, this is the best product! It’s more like a body make up than a tanner. It comes out as a lotion and you just rub it into any area that you want to tan. You do not want to put it on areas that will touch clothes as it will rub off. It gives a very natural, not orange, sun kissed look.
ON MY WISHLIST
- Brush – The best brush for wet or dry hair!
- Shampoo – My everyday shampoo that is great for color treated hair and smells SO good. I’ve also noticed that I could go longer in between washes when I started using this!
- Conditioner – I love this conditioner! It leaves my hair silky smooth and smelling AMAZING.
- Hair Mask – Since I put so much heat on my hair, I try to do a deep conditioner once a week to give my hair a little TLC. If you use a lot of heat or find that your hair feels dry or damaged, I highly suggest this product. You apply it in the shower, leave it on for 5+ minutes and then wash it out. It’s like a normal conditioner but on steroids 🙂
- Hair Dryer – The hype is real about the T3 hair dryers. While they take a little bit longer to dry, they aren’t nearly as drying or damaging as others. My hair feels much smoother after using the T3 than others.
- Curling Iron – The perfect size barrel and I love that you can control the heat of this iron. 1.25″ is the perfect size curl as you can brush it out for a loose wave or leave the tighter curl for a more polished look.
- Curling Wand – Again, the perfect sized barrel! If you are more of a wand girl than an iron, this is my best wand on the market and budget friendly too!
- Straightener – I’ve had my Chi straightener for over 10 years and still love it!
- Dry Shampoo – The best dang dry shampoo out there. I love the coconut smell and that it does not leave a white, residue in my hair. Also I feel like other brands have left noticeably more build up which ends up forcing me to wash my hair,, whereas this one does not.
- Texturizing Hair Spray – I personally do not use a texturizing spray but LOVE this product. It doubles as a texturizing and hair spray. It is flexible enough to be sprayed all over without the firm hold of a hairspray yet still hold all day! Like the name, it gives you that “wind blown” effect. Think sex hair in a can 😉
- Heat Protectant – Not only does this heat protectant smell like absolute heaven (no really you will want to bathe in it), it protects your hair up to 450 degrees. I use this before I blow dry my hair and before I apply any sort of hot tools.
- Purple Shampoo – Purple shampoo is not just for blondes! If you have any sort of highlights, I highly suggest purple shampoo. Bleached hair (any sort of highlights) will naturally start to get a slight yellow/orange tint if not treated. Purple shampoo will make those blonde pieces blonde again. Or even if you are not blonde, it will lighten the lighter pieces of your hair to a more cool tone than warm tone. I use the purple shampoo once a week.
- Silk Pillowcase – I swear by this product! It has been a complete game changer for my hair. I can go much longer between hair washes and it keeps my curls in tact so that I don’t have to touch them up every day. See more of the benefits here.
ON MY WISHLIST